Filthy Blueberry Brow Disaster

“Mashup two (or more!) songs that are similar to each other, by either the same or different artist(s). Do your best to show the similarities—edit parts of the songs next to each other. If it’s possible to do this without making it sound terrible, try to overlay the songs at parts to highlight how much they sound alike.”

Similar Songs

Well, I did this assignment. I spent many many long hours recording different layers of these songs and trying to mix them together. Am I very proud of what I did? Yeah. Not cause I think it’s very good, a lot of the transitions could be better, and the whole thing could be better, but because there are some parts I like and I really tried my hardest.

To be fair, I did do a song mash-up a few years ago that turned out really well, and every other mash-up I do is compared to that high standard, but still.

To make this, I recorded different layers of both songs so I could pick apart the seams a little and put them back how I wanted. Youtube had most of them, but I had to find a program to isolate the lyrics of ‘filth’ myself.

My iMovie looked something like this

I put it all in my editing method of choice, good old iMove, and played around until I got the thing you can hear now.

In the future, I probably would have chosen two songs that are more similar or at least have better transition points. Hey, maybe me in the future can come back and remix this assignment with new and improved editing skills. Until then, I think I’ll stick with the originals of these songs.

If you want to hear what might be my peak music editing skills, Take a Breezeblock is right here.


Dancing Queen of Moonlit Times

“Make your own song using other lyrics. Complete this assignment by combining the lyrics from at least 5 different songs in order to make a song with flowing lyrics. This song should be at least 2 minutes long.”

Making a Song

I know, I know, this isn’t two minutes long. It’s about half that, but I have a good reason. This assignment says at least five songs, and I used clips from nearly fifteen different songs, which is an equitable amount of work I’d say.

So I started with the poem, obviously. This is actually a poem that I wrote years ago in high school as a mash-up of a bunch of different songs. I immediately thought of it when I saw this assignment and thought that using it was very much in the vein of remixes and mash-ups. Something old and something borrowed made into something new.

I recorded all of the bits of the songs and put them in iMove, cutting them all down to just the relevant line.

I used google docs to make the visuals, just changing the color of the text line by line. The assignment didn’t mention visuals, however, the poem is a little more abstract, the songs do not mesh super well and the words can be difficult to pick out, and I thought having the visual of the poem would help bring it all together. And I think it did just that.